I use these steps to get Act of War: Direct Action and High Treason to run on my Windows 7 64 bit PC with 4Gb RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 525m 1Gb VRAM. The original information for the fixes are in the links at the end.
- Install the game as normal.
- Install the latest patch.
- Download the Proper Windows 7 Fix for Act of War.
- copy the d3d9.dll file from the Proper_AoW_proxy.1.zip to the game installation folder.
- Download CFF Explorer from here.
- Run CFF Explorer and open ActOfWar.exe or ActOfWar_HighTreason.exe in the games’ installation folder. Make sure to backup those files before modifying.
- Select Nt Headers -> File Header on the left column and click on the Click here on the row with Characteristics.
- Check the box that says App can handle >2gb address space. Click OK. If this box was already checked, then there is nothing to do and you can skip this whole CFF Explorer section.
- Save the modified file.
- Set the compatibility mode for ActOfWar.exe or ActOfWar_HighTreason.exe to be Windows Vista (Service Pack 1). Also set the file to run as administrator.
- Inside the game installation folder there is a folder EugLoadingBar. Inside this folder set the file EugLoadingBar.exe to run as administrator and have compatibility mode of Windows XP (Service Pack 2).
An error message does pop up when starting Direct Action, but when you click OK, the game loads as normal.
Sometimes Direct Action will still crash on start up. Rebooting the PC seems to fix this nicely. Annoying but at least I still get to see this:
I needed to get a different version of ActOfWar_HighTreason.exe and fixed it to get the game running.
Thank you to the nice person at Proper Windows 7 Fix for Act of War for making the good fix file for the games. There are instructions in the zip file too.
Thank you to the nice person at Permenant fix for AOW – High Treason runtime error at start and having to set mem lim for sharing the fix.